Thursday, August 6, 2015

"My Tribute to Nikki Giovanni" - Accomplish Your Dreams...

A year or so ago on July 3rd of 2014, I accomplished one of my biggest dreams. I published my very first poetry edition entitled; I Just Want to Write! When I started on this journey a little more than 10 years ago, I didn't know how crazy one road to pursuing my dream could truly be. I was aware, but not fully aware of the obstacles that would set out to try and block every which a way I would go. But to be honest, it never really mattered because of the person I am,  for the most part I will more times than not, complete what I set as goal. No matter how long it takes, I see it as, as long as I get there.
"I Accomplished one of my biggest dreams."

Well, with all of that said, when moving forward in action to get this done, I set up a few plans for what I needed to do when I received my copies in hand. Now, apart of one those plans was to be sure to send a book to one of the greats, Nikki Giovanni. I did just that.  One reason is because I met her in the year of 2007 and I was able to speak with her and share some of my concerns about self-publishing my book. Nikki, being the down to earth lady that she is, spoke with me and gave me great advice and what came from that was page 70 in my book, a piece called My Encounter with a Living Legend. As well as page 68, the third paragraph of a food for thought piece, The Greats and Me, explaining my feelings on Nikki Giovanni's style. To me, I wanted to show her just what had taken place, how I had moved forward and how she was apart of the inspiration in helping me pull through to get it completed.  

"Hey, I haven't heard from Nikki?!"
Now, in my heart of hearts, did I expect to hear from her? Being honest, yes. Only because she has never displayed anything but real. Never displayed anything but down to earth qualities from her personality, to her writings and interviews, regardless of her title and who she is. But I really didn't think anything else of it. It wasn't until June 2015 I realized, "Hey, I haven't heard from Nikki." LOL!!! Bold huh, like we're old friends. It's truly funny, how I think sometimes, but it came to me just like that. I honestly believe poets are all old friends. Seriously. But I digress, I was talking to my husband and we were watching something that triggered that thought. He was like you should contact her. I said "You know what? That's exactly what I'm going to do." So, on June 24th of 2015, I contacted her office through email and expressed my name, who I was and explained that I sent a book to Nikki Giovanni's office and just simply wanted to know if she had received it.

"I honestly believe poets are all old friends. Seriously."
 
LOW AND BEHOLD, July 9th of 2015 a surprising email at the most random time----from Nikki Giovanni herself. Wow!!! You talk about a feeling, CRA___ZY! LOL! Of course you know I read it over and over again right? Below, here is what she had to say:

"Dear Quandra:  Thank you for your follow through.  I thought I had responded to you.  I did receive A Conversation with a Living Legend and enjoyed very much what you are doing.  I also thought I had shared how much I love your name:  Until.  Its hopeful and clever.  I don’t know if you know but I have been ill and though I’m doing really well I’m still taking it slow.  Take care of yourself.  Good luck with your writing.  All the best, Nikki"

"Of course you know I read it over and over again right?!"

This, was simply AMAZING...  The fact that she even thought she responded to me is like what? I was on your list of folks to acknowledge? I must have flip my lid, I mean, geesh, it took me almost a month to respond. Anyone who knows me, knows I always have a lot to say so, to quiet my tongue, means that I was  astounded and OVER the moon. Because here is the thing, did she have to respond? No. Could you imagine how many people contact her a day through letters, emails, phone calls and such? Being who she is, do you know how busy she is? Yeah, so, the fact of her responding was enormously more than huge. I can't thank her enough just for the acknowledgment of my name, my email and my writing. You do know I am FRAMING this right?! I mean, honestly. LOL! I will end the way I end other food for thought pieces in my book, in closing with a conclusion:

"I also thought I had shared how much I love your name: Until. Its hopeful and clever."
  Summary: When you set out to do something, complete it. Don't worry what others say, don't let them distract you. You have a plan, execute. It took me ten years to complete this book, and it's only a year old but the rewards of me completing it are endless and look at what happen above. I will cherish that forever. Only you know how your dreams make you feel and only you will know what that feels like to accomplish them. You owe it to yourself to feel that feeling; that feeling of happiness. Complete, accomplish, finish...your dream (s).

"You do know I'm FRAMING this, right?! I mean, honestly. LOL!"

If you would like to purchase my book called "I Just Want to Write! Please visit my website at www.untilnomore.net. Check out the photos above. It is my tribute to Nikki Giovanni, I used that same picture tribute on the back of my book. I wonder if she noticed.*smile*

Until...
8/5/15 (c)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am someone who is attracted to paper and aroused by my thoughts and feelings which are connected to my pen. I am someone who is enlightened by what I and others write down and often surprised about how I and others think. I am somone who believes that I am all that my poetry speaks, all that my poetry bleeds, all that my poetry reeks, all that my poetry feeds. Poetry is me. Therefore I am poetry. Until...