Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Rest In Happiness . . . Thank you for the Opportunity

Emma Gresham

Emma Rene (Rhodes) Gresham (April 13, 1925 – March 2, 2018) was an American teacher and politician who was mayor of Keysville, Georgia.

Gresham was born in Reidsville, Georgia to the Rev. Herman and Mrs. Ida Clark Rhodes. Emma graduated from Boggs Academy at the age of 15 years as the Salutatorian of her class, she is also a 1953 honor graduate of Paine College. In 1942, she married Quinten Gresham Sr. Mayor Gresham taught mainly elementary age special education students in Talladega, Alabama and Augusta, GA for over 32 years. In 1985, once finding out about the inactive charter and government of her hometown of Keysville, GA which not been functioning since 1933, she ran for Mayor. Mrs. Gresham ran, only to have the position stripped from her after five hours by a Superior Court judge in Augusta who revoked the city's charter, upholding a challenge by a group of white residents who disputed the town's boundaries.

After national news coverage due in 1989 and due to a tape-recorded oral history from the town's oldest resident, 93-year-old Henry Key the city was able to determine boundary lines. In 1989, a federal court upheld the elections, and on June 4, 1990, the Supreme Court affirmed the lower court's ruling. Mrs. Gresham remained mayor of Keysville, GA until 2005. During her tenure of 20 years, Mayor Gresham has helped Keysville, GA to have a fully functioning Water and sewer service; street lights; fire department; library; post office; wastewater treatment plant; after-school program and municipal building.

Mayor Gresham is the second African American female to be a chief elected official in Georgia She is active at her church Mt. Tabor African Methodist Episcopal Church, where she is a lifelong member and 3rd Generation A.M.E. Church Leader Among her hundreds of awards, she has received an Essence AwardOne Hundred Eckerd WomenSCLC Drum Major for Justice.
She and her late husband have 5 children: Rev. Dr. Quinten Gresham Jr., Rev. Ida LaVerne (Gresham) Comer, Rev. Lola Scott (Gresham) Russell, Harold Gresham and Kay Gresham.

********
If you've been following this blog you know that my very first poetry edition
I Just Want To Write has been added to Mrs. Emma Gresham's Library in Keysville, Georgia.
The blessing is that she was able to see her library come to fruition and enjoy the ribbon cut ceremony and I'm grateful to have been apart of her history in some way. 

Thanks to the following who made her dream come true: 
Sharday Jones, M.A.Ed.

Special thanks to Rekaya Gibson for sharing with me this wonderful opportunity.
Visit her site at http://www.cuisinenoirmag.com/book-grub/author/rekaya-gibson-2

Be blessed and please support the Emma Gresham Library

Always
Until. . .

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear that Ms. Gresham passed away. However, I'm over joyed to have supported her dream. Thank you for acknowledging me. Keep shining and keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and thank you so much! I know but she's created something monumental that we are both apart. Wonderful. Be blessed.

      Delete

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am someone who is attracted to paper and aroused by my thoughts and feelings which are connected to my pen. I am someone who is enlightened by what I and others write down and often surprised about how I and others think. I am somone who believes that I am all that my poetry speaks, all that my poetry bleeds, all that my poetry reeks, all that my poetry feeds. Poetry is me. Therefore I am poetry. Until...